How does Multifactor Authentication (MFA) work?
Time-Based One Time Password
Time Based One Time Password (TOTP) is a one time password that is only useable for 30-60 seconds. This can be done using a smartphone app. VCCS policy states that students logging into MyMECC must configure MFA to verify your identity during the login process. Instructions for setting up MFA are listed below.
NOTE: If you do not have a smartphone, Visit www.mecc.edu/technology-assistance to submit a helpdesk ticket. A technician will contact you with an alternate method of MFA.
NOTE: If you reset your phone or purchase a new one, you must submit a request for your MFA to be reset. To submit an MFA request, visit www.mecc.edu/my-mecc-assistant.
Step 1: Download The FREE Microsoft Authenticator On Your Smart Phone.
In either the Apple App Store or the Google play store search for “Microsoft Authenticator”
- Click Here to Download Microsoft Authenticator from the Apple App Store
- Click Here to Download Microsoft Authenticator from Google Play
Step 2: Open Microsoft Authenticator App On Mobile Phone
- Apple Users, Click on “+”
- Android Users, Click on “…”
Step 3: Scan QR Code
- Select Personal Account
- Select “Scan QR Code”
Step 4: Add MyMECC Account to Microsoft Authenticator
- After selecting “Scan Barcode” your camera will show a box on the screen.
- Center the camera “box” over the QR barcode and Microsoft Authenticator will automatically create a new item in your list of systems with the name “myVCCS”
Step 5: Login to MyMECC on Computer
- From a PC visit MyMECC. On the portal you will be presented with the login screens as usual.
- Enter your MyMECC username and click “Go”
- Then enter your password
- You will be presented with a QR Code.
Note: If no QR Code is presented then, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include: Name, VCCS Username, and Phone Number.
Step 6: Final Step
- Enter the code displayed on your Microsoft Authenticator App.
- A code from the Microsoft Authenticator App must be entered with each new login.
- Do not include SPACE in the 6 digit code.
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) Help
If you need assistance with setting up or troubleshooting MFA issues, visit www.mecc.edu/my-mecc-assistant.