Virginia Small Business Development Center (SBDC) The Virginia Small Business Development Center (SBDC) located at Mountain Empire Community College offers free business consulting, affordable training courses, personal referrals to local resources, guidance, insights, and connections to help businesses succeed. The Small Business Development Center at Mountain Empire Community College is funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration. All opinions, conclusions or recommendations expressed are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the SBA. Does your business need assistance? Services are confidential and there is no charge for counseling services. Let us help you save time with your business projects MECC\’s Small Business Development Center provides the following services:
- Management Skills: Provides guidance and counsel to help businesses become effective and efficient by improving management skills and operational effectiveness.
- Business Information: Provides access to a wide variety of economic and business data which includes federal, state, and private sector publications.
- Business Planning: Assists the potential entrepreneur with identification and evaluation of the most important factors related to the success of his or her enterprise.
- Productivity Improvement: Enhances competitiveness through training and technical assistance.
- Workshops: Conducts workshops on a wide variety of topics related to starting and operating a business in Southwest Virginia.
- Networking Assistance: Helps in identifying sources of information and/or services related to small business.
- Loan Application Assistance
- Sources of business financing
- Financial Analysis
- Permits, licenses and taxes
The application period opens 9 a.m. Thursday 1/13 and closes 5 p.m. Monday 1/31. Selected companies will be notified by Wednesday 2/2 and the program begins the week of 2/21.
MEMORIAL DAY TRAVEL NEWS UPDATE
The travel update by Destination Analysts for this week is in–highlights include:
Concern about contracting the virus is well below 50%
- Perception that leisure activities & travel are unsafe is 25.9% (less than half what is was at start of year)
- Americans’ readiness when it comes to travel in general is at a record 77.9%
- For the first time in the last 18 months, the proportion reporting that they want travelers in their community (33.0%) finally outweighs the proportion who do not (31.6%)
- Americans comfortable enjoying leisure activities in their home community is at a pandemic-high (66.9%)
The Virginia SBDC Network provides confidential advising, business training and connections to resources for new and existing businesses throughout the Commonwealth. The SBDC is funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration, George Mason University, and local host institutions. The Virginia SBDC is nationally accredited by accredited by America’s SBDC. Business owners can access the services of their nearest SBDC at VirginiaSBDC.org.