A college degree is an investment to improve your life, not burden you with debt. MECC’s tuition is thousands less than other local colleges and universities. MECC offers financial aid and scholarship opportunities. With 96% of students receiving financial assistance, a higher education doesn’t have to come at a high price. Full and part-time students who are enrolled in a program of study at MECC may apply for financial aid to take credit classes.
Click each heading below for additional information.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
Obtain a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) . This is used as your electronic signature to sign your FAFSA. For more information on creating your FSA ID, please view the video at Creating Your Own FSA ID.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.studentaid.gov and use the MECC school code 009629 on the application. Once you have submitted your FAFSA it typically takes several days for the Department of Education to process and make it available to MECC. You can check the status of your financial aid file at MECC by viewing the Student Center of your myMECC online account.
Click the link below for a quick video on how to access and navigate your student center.” www.mecc.edu/fa-videos.
Deadlines to Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA)
Although you can file the online FAFSA anytime, it is best to complete the FAFSA by the priority deadline of May 1st of the year that you plan to attend MECC. This ensures that you will receive consideration for all available aid that you might qualify for. The 2023-24 FAFSA covers the Summer 2023, Fall 2023, and Spring 2024 semesters. You should try to complete the FAFSA at least two weeks prior to the first day of class of the first semester you attend.
Types of Financial Aid
Federal Aid-To be considered for federally funded aid a current year FAFSA must be completed, and all requested documentation must be submitted.
- Federal Pell Grant–Must complete the FAFSA and submit any required documentation. Eligibility primarily based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC) generated by FAFSA. Federal Pell Grant is awarded to eligible undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree and have not completed 600% Lifetime Eligibility Units. 2023-24 EFC must be 6656 or less. Maximum award for 23-24 is $7395 as a full time student (12 or more credits per semester).
- Federal Work Study–Provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Eligible students who have been awarded other aid and wish to be considered for FWS are advised to contact the financial aid office at 276-523-7470 or email@example.com.
- Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)–For undergraduate Federal Pell Grant recipients with exceptional financial need. Must complete the FAFSA and submit any required documentation. Eligible students are awarded until funds have been exhausted.
State Funded Aid–To be considered for state funded financial aid you must be a Virginia resident, complete the FAFSA and submit any required documentation. Eligible students are awarded until funds have been exhausted.
- COMA (Commonwealth Grant)–Students receiving COMA must be domiciled in Virginia, show financial need and be enrolled in at least 6 credits. Individual awards range from $1,000 – $1,800 and can be used for tuition, fees, and books.
- G3–To receive G3 funds students must be listed as a Virginia resident and have income less than or equal to 400% of poverty level. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credits per semester in an approved program.
- PTAP–VCCS funded grant provides tuition assistance (no fees) to students in a degree or certificate program who enroll for at least 1 but less than 8 credits. Students must show need.
- VGAP–Students must have achieved a 2.5 GPA, have exceptional financial need, and maintain full-time enrollment as a dependent student. Awards vary from $1,100-$1,900 and can be used for tuition, fees and books. Renewal student must maintain a 2.0 GPA and continuous fulltime enrollment. Renewal awards vary from $1,200 -$1,900.