Mountain Empire Community College’s mission is to provide our region with accessible, quality higher education, workforce training, and community programs to ensure an educated population and globally competitive workforce.
Mountain Empire Community College’s mission is fulfilled through the following avenues:
- General Education: General Education, a component of academic programs, includes the following competencies: Communication, Critical Thinking, Cultural and Social Understanding, Information Literacy, Personal Development, Quantitative Reasoning, and Scientific Reasoning.
- Career -Technical Education: The career and technical education programs meet the increasing demand for technicians, professionals, and a skilled workforce.
- Transfer Education: The transfer education program, which includes freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences and pre-professional education, allows students to transfer into baccalaureate degree programs at four-year colleges and universities.
- Developmental Studies: Developmental courses are offered to correct deficiencies in basic areas, such as English, reading, and mathematics, and to prepare students who have not had the required course prerequisites for admission to specific programs.
- Dual Enrollment: Dual enrollment courses allow high-achieving students to meet the requirements for high school graduation while simultaneously earning college credit.
- Distance Education: Distance education courses and programs offer accessibility through a number of delivery modes, to include the internet, video, and off-campus locations.
- Student Services: The College provides programs, services, and resources that facilitate college access, enhance student success, develop career readiness, promote student leadership, and provide opportunities for student engagement.
- Workforce Development: Workforce development encompasses credit and non-credit training to meet workforce needs and promote economic development through programs, customized training, and on-going workshops.
- Community Services: College facilities and personnel support the cultural and educational needs of the region through cultural events, workshops, meetings, lectures, conferences, seminars, community projects, and service learning.
Mountain Empire Community College’s vision is to be recognized by our community as the leader in preparing our region’s educated workforce.
Mountain Empire Community College will pursue its vision by acquiring the following traits:
- Teaching will be characterized by the use of the best practices for knowledge and skills to be developed, including the involvement of businesses, the use of hands-on interactive mediums, and opportunities for real-life applications of knowledge and skills.
- Instructional delivery will employ non-traditional methods with emphasis on the use of technology. Faculty members will be facilitators of learning, mentors, and role models, exhibiting to students the importance of knowledge, competence, and a thirst for learning.
- The college will be the major provider of workforce training and a leader in community development, partnering with businesses, educational institutions, non-profits, and government to strengthen the competitiveness of the region for attracting and retaining jobs.
- The college will be an exemplary model of service and involvement to our students and the community, promoting economic development, appreciation of culture, and the quality of living in rural, southwest Virginia.
Mountain Empire Community College is committed to these values:
- Community and Cultural Preservation
- Creativity and Innovation
- Diversity, Inclusion and Equity
- Honesty, Integrity and Trust
- Leadership and Service
- Student Success
- Teamwork and Communication