Mountain Empire Community College offers a free Quick Start to College class designed for individuals who have considered college, but have hesitated to enroll. The course allows students the opportunity to obtain three college credits without having to enroll for a full semester at no cost. To qualify, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
The course will include an orientation to the basics of college life. Students will be able to learn how to find offices and classes on campus, use Canvas, and MECC email. Career counseling sessions will also be included so that students can learn more about MECC program offerings that best fit their interests. Computer basics including using Word and saving documents to flash drives will also be covered. Students will also focus on math and English skills, being able to freshen up on important basics that will help them prepare for college level courses.
The Spring 2020 Quick Start program will be offered:
Tuesday and Thursday afternoons 2:15 pm – 3:30 pm (February 11 – March 5)
- Phillips – Taylor Room 123
- February 11 & 13 – Navigating campus and available resources
- February 18 & 20 – Computer Skills
- February 25 – English Skills
- February 27 – Math Skills
- March 3 & 5 – Study skills, tips for successful student, and career exploration
- Follow the Non-Credit Course Registration link.
- Complete the registration form.
- Under Course Registration — Select Spring 2020
- Be sure to list Quick Start as the course title.
- Submit Form
For more information or to enroll, contact:
Beth Boggs, MECC Career and Transfer Counselor
276.523.2400 ext. 324