The Paralegal Studies program is designed to prepare individuals to work in a legal office environment. The program provides training in the general processes of American law and the knowledge and skills to perform specific legal tasks under the supervision of an attorney. In addition, the program helps prepare individuals for paralegal certification exams.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective communication skills through interaction, in person, by telephone, in written and electronic correspondence, with lawyers, clients, witnesses, court personnel, co-workers, and other business professionals, using appropriate legal terminology and formatting.
- Perform basic legal research and analysis necessary to identify legal issues and potential solutions to legal problems.
- Utilize strong organizational skills necessary to sort through and manage information, manually and electronically.
- Apply principles of writing and rules of English grammar to all writing tasks, to be able to prepare legal documents commonly used in the profession.
- Demonstrate competent understanding of computer literacy and proficiency required in the typical legal office environment.
- Apply ethical and professional principles that guide paralegal conduct, including but not limited to: unauthorized practice of law and lawyer supervision of non-lawyers; confidentiality and attorney-client privilege; conflicts of interests; competency; handling of client funds; office decorum and dress.
- Integrate appropriate skills to work effectively and positively with others beginning on the first day of a new job.
Students should have English and Mathematics skills assessed. Deficiencies in these areas may be corrected by completing the appropriate developmental studies courses.
Students will have opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of specialized duties with competence and understanding. The Paralegal Studies Degree will help prepare students for a wide range of entry-level positions as a paraprofessional in the legal field with opportunities in law firms, mortgage companies, banks, title insurance companies, private corporations, and government and administrative agencies.
For more information on the paralegal field, Click Here
For Further Information, Contact: