Thank you for your expressed interest in the paramedic program. This associate degree program is made possible through a cooperative venture of Mountain Empire Community College, Wytheville Community College, Southwest Virginia Community College and Virginia Highlands Community College.
The curriculum is designed to allow completion in five semesters.
After you examine the provided application materials, should you still have questions in order to decide whether you wish to apply for admission to the paramedic or Advanced EMT programs, please contact program director Bill Akers at Bill.Akers@sw.edu or 276-964-7729. For MECC, Dean Kim Dorton can be reached at 276-523-9014 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
If you do wish to apply for admission to either program, please proceed as follows:
- Complete an application for admission to either MECC, SWCC, or VHCC. If you have completed college coursework elsewhere, please include a copy of the transcript(s).
- Complete an application on-line for federal financial aid.
- Complete the paramedic/Advanced EMT program application and submit by no later than May 15th.
- With these forms, please submit a copy of your high school diploma or a copy of your GED completion certificate and a copy of your high school transcript. Include a copy (front and back) of your current CPR certification card, your driver’s license, and your EMS certification card.
- Upon receipt of your program application you will be notified when and where to report for the orientation and interview with the program director and clinical coordinator.
If you have questions specific to financial aid or the application process, please call the Office of Enrollment Services or the Financial Aid Office at your college.
Mountain Empire Community College (MECC) is an open entry institution. Its mission is to provide quality higher education and workforce training programs and services that are financially and geographically accessible and meet individual, business, and community needs. The following pathways exist:
Arts & Music
MECC is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment and education opportunity. No person shall be discriminated against in the terms and conditions of employment, personnel practices, or access to and participation in, programs, services, and activities with regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, or membership or activity in a local commission as defined by law.
Harassment of an individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, or membership or activity in a local commission has no place in a learning or work environment and is prohibited. Sexual violence has no place in a learning or work environment. Further, MECC shall work to eliminate violence in all its forms. Physical contact by designated system, college, and university staff members may be appropriate if necessary to avoid physical harm to persons or property.
Lack of English skills will not be a barrier to admission or participation. In order to eliminate barriers, we take appropriate measures to assess each student’s ability to participate and benefit through placement testing and counseling. Based on the assessment and counseling, students are then provided with campus services or a referral to community services to be better prepared for successful participation.
- Title IX Coordinator – Ron Vicars, Room 136, Godwin Hall, 276-523-7478
- Title IX Coordinator (Students) – Leila Bradshaw, Room 133, Holton Hall, 276.523.2400 Ext. 640288
- Title IX Coordinator (Employees) – Valerie Lee, Room 137, Godwin Hall, 276.523.2400 Ext. 640212
- Disabilities Coordinator – Dale Lee, Room 131, Holton Hall, 276.523.2400 Ext. 640343
This document is available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities. Consumers with hearing or speech disabilities may contact us via their preferred Telecommunications Relay Service.