Mountain Empire Community College has been notified that an employee has tested positive for COVID-19. The employee is self-isolated, according to CDC and local public health guidelines. Contact tracing is being coordinated through the local health department in conjunction with the college. Those persons who may have come into close contact with the positive case are notified directly by the Health Department and given further instructions to prevent the spread.
MECC will continue with previously scheduled classes and classes will continue as they have this semester. There is no change to the staff schedules and access to the campus as a part of this notification.
As part the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) requirements for all colleges and universities, Mountain Empire Community College is required to send this initial Emergency Notification to students and employees of a positive COVID-19 case(s) on campus. Additional information regarding COVID-19 prevention, symptoms, testing and academic planning can be found at the college’s COVID-19 Prevention and Response webpage at https://www.mecc.edu/coronavirus/.
With the increase in COVID-19 cases in our local community and state, MECC would like to remind students and staff to continue to practice healthy habits:
- Practice social distancing by putting at least 6 feet between yourself and others, including covering your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering, especially in public places where 6 feet of separation is not feasible.
- Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Clean and then disinfect frequently used surfaces.
- Cover coughs/sneezes with a tissue or inside of your elbow.
- Monitor your health for symptoms and stay home if you’re sick.
COVID-19 affects all age groups – even college-aged students – and the social distancing guidelines, including wearing face coverings when around others, are to protect yourself and care for others as well.