I’d like more information on the HIT program:
100% Online Format
All courses include online lectures and videos to guide you through assignments.
All courses and assignments are available 24/7.
Talk to your advisor about G3 grants and Federal Financial Aid.
The only industry certification designed to teach IT pros the entry-level skills they need to successfully manage small to medium-sized projects.
Discover the Health Information Technology (HIT) degree program at MECC – your entryway to a fulfilling healthcare career!
What is Health Information Technology?
Big data analytics is transforming the way many organizations do business and the impact is most profound in the field of medicine, where a health information technology analyst has the potential to revolutionize patient care.
As a Health IT Analyst, you will have many opportunities to gain the knowledge and skills required to perform a variety of specialized duties in a non-clinical healthcare setting in healthcare IT, Health Information Management, and Clinical Research.
Graduates may seek positions as health IT data analysts, health IT project managers, data managers, healthcare data reporting analysts, healthcare business intelligence analysts, clinical decision support analysts, and quality improvement analysts.
Students entering the Health IT Analyst program must meet the college’s general admissions requirements, as well as program-specific admission requirements. Program-specific admission requirements include:
- Completion of the Heath IT Analyst Application for Admission packet, including a letter of intent and criminal background check, and drug screening.
- It is strongly advised students have a professional background in Allied Health.
- Students should have their English and Mathematics skills assessed. Deficiencies in these areas may be corrected by completing the appropriate developmental studies courses.
- Students may receive college credit for verified on-the-job experience.
Health Informatics and Healthcare Analytics are fast-growing fields and the demand for leaders with data analytics expertise will continue to grow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates job growth at 19%, faster than average through 2026 for fields such as health informatics and data analytics. Job growth in medical and health services management fields is expected to grow by over 17% over the next few years. Population health changes and increased use of health information exchange ensure the job outlook for health information and health data analytics remain strong for many years to come.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Compiling and organizing healthcare data
- Analyzing data to assist in delivering optimal health care management and decision making.
- Collecting and organizing health care data to achieve administrative needs and goals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data storage and data sharing methods
- Inspecting data to find patterns and trends.
- Evaluating health care business operations based on data sources.
- Utilizing different data sources for analyses
- Converting data into usable information that is easy to understand
- Developing reports and presentations
- Communicating analytic insights to stakeholders
- Project Management Certification
There is a growing demand for HIT professionals in healthcare. MECC’s current employment rate for HIT graduates is 100%. A large percentage of these jobs allow graduates to work anytime and anywhere. No medical background is required.
Join us now to make a meaningful impact on patient care and the healthcare industry’s efficiency!
The Health Information Management accreditor of Mountain Empire Community College is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The College’s accreditation for the Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2027.
Health Information Management Program Metrics and Student Survey Results from 2020/2021
- HIM Completion Rate 100%
- HIM Graduation Rate 47%
- HIM Graduate Employment Rate 100%
- RHIT pass rate 100%
- AAPC CPC pass rate 85%