Before You Apply
Before you submit your application, we recommend that you meet with your academic advisor to ensure you have completed your degree requirements. Please see additional instructions below on how to find your academic advisor. To be eligible, you must:
- Confirm that you are in the correct program plan and requirement term (catalog year).If you are not currently listed in the program that you are applying to graduate from, please submit an Information Change Form to Enrollment Services (email@example.com). Login to your MyMECC account to access your Academic Advisement Report.
- If your Academic Advisement Report shows as Not Satisfied and you feel that you have met the requirements for graduation, contact your academic advisor for additional assistance. Submit all approved Course Substitutions and/or Credit by Advanced Standing to Enrollment Services.
- Earn a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 within your plan of study.
- Complete at least 25% of the required credit at MECC.
- Resolve all financial obligations to the College and return all materials, including library books.
Your diploma will be mailed directly to your home using the mailing address in the Student Information System (SIS). Verify that your name, address, phone number, and email address are correct by going to Main Menu > Self Service > Student Center > Personal Information tab > Demographic Data.
NOTE: The MECC Graduation Ceremony is a public event. The ceremony will be live streamed on social media as well as roaming photographers capturing the graduation event. Your image may be seen on social media or other college publications.
The Spring/Summer 2023 Graduation application process has closed. Please contact your advisor if you feel that you have met the requirements for Spring/Summer graduation.
To find your academic advisor, log in to MyMECC and select the “My Student Information” tile. This will take you to your student center. The name and phone number for your academic advisor can be found on the lower right-hand side of the screen under the Advisor heading.
Requirement Term (Catalog Year)
The Requirement Term (Catalog Year) that is used to determine graduation requirements is the one in effect at the time of the student’s initial program placement into the plan, or any catalog thereafter, as long as the student has maintained an active status with the college.
In the event that there has been a break in a student’s enrollment at the college resulting in discontinuation, the catalog in effect at the time of the student’s re-admission into the plan, or any catalog thereafter, is the catalog that shall be in effect for the student. Following a three-year period of non-enrollment resulting in discontinuation, the student may only be re-admitted to those plans that are currently active. A student may not be re-admitted to a plan which has been inactivated.
Students who have fulfilled the requirements of degree, diploma, or certificate programs (with the exception of career studies certificates), are eligible for graduation honors. Appropriate honors are awarded based upon the student’s cumulative grade point average, recorded one semester prior to graduation (fall semester GPA for spring graduates and spring semester GPA for summer graduates) as follows:
- Cum Laude (Honors) 3.2 GPA
- Magna Cum Laude (High Honors) 3.5 GPA
- Summa Cum Laude (Highest Honors), 3.8 GPA
- Grad Day will be held on April 26, 2024 in the Goodloe Center, Phillips-Taylor Hall from 11 a.m. Graduation practice will begin at 11 a.m. Mandatory for all students who plan to walk in the Graduation Ceremony. Lunch will be provided.
- To place your order for Cap and Gown, please contact the MECC Bookstore at MECCBookstore.edu or 276-523-7461.
- Mountain Empire Community College will host the Spring Commencement Ceremony on May 10, 2024 at 6:00 p.m. Check your student email regularly for additional information on Fall 2024 Commencement.
Degree Posting & Diplomas
The college certifies graduates for Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. We begin our final review of all applicants once grades are finalized at the end of each semester. The degree posting process takes approximately 4 weeks to complete.
The only official document indicating graduation is an official academic transcript, not the diploma. If you need proof of graduation, please request an official transcript through our partnership with Parchment.
Diplomas will be mailed to students following conferrals of degrees and certificates in the student information system. Please verify that your address is correct in the system. You will receive an email with information regarding the shipment of your diploma.