Integrate Drones into Your Business or Workplace
MECC’s UAS Operations Technician Program is an excellent resource for police, EMS, contractors, realtors, farmers, ranchers, videographers and others seeking to incorporate UAS technology into their business.
The Future Is Now
Mountain Empire Community College is developing the Virginia Community College System’s first unmanned aerial systems (UAS) Associate Degree program. The program is part of a regional eﬀort to place Southwest Virginia at the center of the global UAS industry by training students to build, develop and fly drones and similar devices. Students who successfully complete the program will be prepared to take the FAA’s written examination required to obtain the Remote Pilot Certificate.
- UMS 107: Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) Remote Pilot Ground School. Presents the aeronautical knowledge required for FAA-approved commercial operations as a Remote Pilot with sUAS rating. Covers the regulations applicable to UAS operations, loading, performance, emergency procedures, crew resource management and more.
- UMS 111: Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Introduces students to the history of sUAS and surveys current platforms, applications, components and sensors.
- UMS 177: Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) Components and Maintenance. Provides an introduction to the basic equipment and techniques used in maintaining, repairing, and upgrading sUAS to ensure airworthiness and proper operation of other
- UMS 211 — Small Unmanned Aerial System (sUAS) II. Focuses on advanced sUAS. Covers mission planning, operations, communication, autonomous flights, ground control operations and more.
Tuition Assistance Available
MECC, with assistance from the National Science Foundation and Virginia’s Community Development Block Grant (CDGB), is oﬀering free tuition for the four classes that make up the core of the UAS Operations Technician Program. Classes will be oﬀered during the Summer and Fall semesters. Upon completion, students will be prepared to obtain certification as a remote pilot and to utilize drones for business and personal use.
Apply Today Enrollment is easy …
- Visit mecc.edu/apply.
- Schedule an appointment with an adviser and register for classes.
Fred Coeburn, Instructor
Ashvin Raj, UAS Grant Coordinator
ARaj@mecc.edu 276-523-2400 ext. 261
For sUAS Operations Technical Studies course information Click Here