Mission Statement for the Center for Student Outreach & Success
The Center for Student Outreach and Success (SOS) will endeavor to identify and reduce barriers to success in order to retain, encourage, and advocate for students at Mountain Empire Community College.
The SOS Center staff are here to help all students with the college process. If you have questions, need a schedule made, or just don’t know who to go to, please stop by and let one of our staff help you!
College Success Coach Program
The College Success Coach program was developed by Mountain Empire Community College in alignment with the Virginia’s Community Colleges Chancellor’s College Success Coach Initiative. This program is intended to increase student persistence and attainment of success. College Success Coaches empowers students to achieve their educational goals by providing them with encouragement and support, identifying on and off campus resources, and by collaborating with faculty and staff to identify and reduce barriers to success.
“The College Success Program at MECC has helped me with my scheduling, motivated me to work harder in my classes, and was there if I just needed somebody to talk to. Without part of their shove and always checking in, I wouldn’t know what to do and probably wouldn’t have been able to graduate”.
“P.S. Do your FAFSA, go to class, see your adviser often, be an active club member, and stay in school”.
“The coaches of the college success program were patient, continually over seeing my academic performance, and very eager to help me succeed with my college education. If it wasn’t for the program and the people in it, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”
High School Navigators
High School Navigators are community college employees who are based in local high schools to help high school students define their career aspirations and to recognize community college and other post-secondary programs, including apprenticeships and workforce training, that can help students achieve their educational and financial goals.
MECC High School Navigators help students to:
- Make informed decisions about their career and educational plans
- Find careers best suited to their goals and talents
- Navigate the college admissions process
- Prepare and schedule the placement tests
- Select MECC dual enrollment classes
- Transition from high school to college
- Search for jobs
- Navigate the financial aid process
Who We Are
- Jordan Cole- College Success Coach 276-523-2400 x. 235, email@example.com
- Sarah Mercado- College Success Coach, 276-523-2400 x. 399, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sass Sloce – College Success Coach, 276-523-2400 ext. 279, email@example.com
- Nancy Townsend – High School Navigator serving Union and Central High Schools, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ginger Helms- High School Navigator serving Gate City, and Rye Cove High Schools, email@example.com
- Cheryl Tankersley- High School Lead Navigator serving all schools, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dawn Harper- High School Navigator serving Ridgeview and Twin Springs High Schools, email@example.com
- Kevin Dotson – High School Navigator serving Eastside and J.I. Burton High Schools, firstname.lastname@example.org
The SOS Center is located in Holton Hall (H107) beside the grill. The center is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.