For Further Information Contact:
Beth Boggs, M.Ed
Career & Transfer Counselor
276.523.2400 ext. 324
Holton Hall – Student Services Suite
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.,
3441 Mountain Empire Road
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Upcoming Events:No Events
MECC’s Career Services provides current online and onsite services for exploring and planning careers, acquiring employability skills, and accessing job search resources to students, alumni, and faculty as well as to employers and the community.
- Job Postings – June 2019
- Mountain Empire Community College Employment Opportunities
- Employers: Post Opportunities Here
Job Preparations Skills
- Read and follow instructions carefully.
- Fully answer all questions on an application.
- Complete application in reverse chronological order (education & experience). You want the employer to see the most recent information first.
- Don’t provide any negative information.
- Always answer questions truthfully.
- Provide references.
- Proofread your application before submitting it.
What is a Resume?
- A resume is a document designed to introduce your professional self to your potential employer.
- Employers use resumes to evaluate applicants’ organizational skills, review their written communication, and gauge attention to detail.
- Your resume should be tailored to each position you apply for, including details most relevant to the position.
- Be sure you use easy to read formatting and action verbs to describe your duties.
What to Include in a Resume
- Contact Information
- If using your cell phone number as the primary way to contact you, be sure you have a voicemail set up and you will not change your number prior to the call for an interview.
- Use a “professional email.” A form of your name or initials and numbers.
- If you wish to include an objective on your resume, be specific. The objective should clearly note the position you are applying for with the company.
- Be sure to list the institution you have received your education from as well as the dates of attendance. Your degree or certificate should be accurately and completely noted. (Associate of Arts & Sciences Degree in General Studies; Associate of Applied Sciences Degree in Paralegal Studies; Certificate in Medical Office Coding and Procedures; Career Studies Certificate in Phlebotomy)
- Include the company, your title and dates of employment. Use action verbs to describe the duties you completed.
- Additional Sections May Include
- Professional Certifications/Licenses
- Skills or Abilities
- Volunteer Experience or Community Service
Proofreading Your Resume
- Your resume should be one page. If you extend to a second page it should include your name and a page number.
- Check for consistency.
- Headings should be the same size, color and format.
- Institutions and Employers should appear consistently within the headings.
- Depending upon your resume layout, you may need to ensure justification of text or dates for consistency.
- Spell check.
- Double check to ensure phone numbers are correct.
- Remove repetitive statements.
- Ensure complete sentences.
Cover Letter Content
Cover letters should be formatted like a formal letter and include a return address, date, and a greeting. Be sure to end the letter with a salutation. Remember that employers are using the cover letter to evaluate your written communication skills.
- State why you are writing, how you learned about the position, and basic information about you.
- Explain WHY you are interested in the position and the type of work the employer does.
- Demonstrate that you know enough about the employer or position to relate your background to them.
- Use this paragraph to explain important information from your resume in greater detail
- Thank the employer for their consideration & indicate you would welcome the opportunity for an interview.
Before Your Interview
- Review the job posting for the position and your application materials before interviewing. Doing so will refresh the requirements for the position as well as how you meet them.
- Consider your strengths and weaknesses. This is likely to be a question at the interview. It is good to be prepared with at least 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses.
- Spend time thinking about the skills, qualities, characteristics, and attributes that make you a good employee.
- Being prepared for an interview will give you a better chance of being selected for the position.
- Focus on your professional self while interviewing. When the interviewer asks you to describe yourself, this is the time to be ‘selfish’ and speak only of yourself rather than your family and loved ones. Speak about your training, education, professional accomplishments, etc.
- Answer all questions honestly.
- Be prepared to ask the interviewer questions you have about the position.
Thank You Letters
- Always send a Thank You letter to the employer following an interview.
- This is an opportunity to formally thank the interviewer and committee for their time.
- This could make you stand out above other applicants.
The Career and Transfer Fair will be held on Tuesday, February 5 in the Goodloe Center (Phillips-Taylor Hall) from 10am to 2pm.
Student Discount Card
Mountain Empire Community College is currently working on a discount card to be distributed to all current MECC students for the 2018-2019 academic year. This card will feature businesses that offer discounts to MECC students when they present their student ID card. It is our hope that this card not only provides a ‘perk’ for enrolled students, but that it also provides advertising and increases patronage at the businesses in our wonderful community.
If you are willing to provide any type of student discount on the services/goods you provide please complete the: Student Discount Card Form.
If you have any questions, please contact Kari Paschetto, email@example.com; 276-523-2400 ext. 422