Big Stone Gap, VA — The Mountain Empire Community College Foundation is pleased to announce the availability for the Food City/Friends of Coal Scholarship for Coal Industry Impacted Students for the spring 2017 semester.
Earlier this year, Food City and Friends of Coal of Pikeville/COA partnered to design special commemorative reusable shopping bags, sold on Earth Day 2016. Each bag was filled with valuable Food City exclusive brand merchandise and retailed for $10.00 plus tax. 100% of the proceeds from the bag sales were presented to local colleges to provide scholarships for displaced miners, their spouse or their children wishing to continue their education.
The total amount of funds available at Mountain Empire Community College is $5,250.00 to support seven (7) $750.00 scholarships.
To be eligible for consideration a student must:
- Be a Virginia resident
- A current/former employee of the coal industry (documentation required)
- A dependent spouse or child of a current/former employee of the coal industry (documentation required)
- Enrolled Spring semester 2017 for credit courses
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 if enrolled prior to Spring 2017.
- Have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Priority consideration for these scholarships will be for students enrolled full-time who need assistance with tuition and fees.
Please visit www.mecc.edu/scholarships to print and complete the scholarship application.
The deadline for consideration is Friday, February 3, 2017. Please submit all applications and required documentation to the Financial Aid office.
For more information on the MECC Foundation visit www.meccfoundation.org or call 276.523.2400 ext. 466.