Career Studies (221-151-02)
|PROGRAM OF STUDY
FIRST YEAR FALL
|Course #||Course Title||Credit|
|HIM||1111||Medical Terminology I||3|
|HLT||100||First Aid & CPR||3|
|SDV||100||College Success Skills I||1|
|FIRST YEAR SPRING|
|ENG||1113||College Composition I||3|
|HIM||112||Medical Terminology II||3|
|Total Minimum Credits for Certificate||25|
1It is recommended that HIM 111 and 112 and HLT 145 be completed prior to enrollment in MDL 105. However, enrollment in MDL 105 may be allowed if the student is concurrently enrolled in HIM 111 and HLT 145; and enrollment in MDL 106 may be allowed if both MDL 105, HIM 111 and HLT 145 have been successfully completed, and the student is concurrently enrolled in HIM 112. This requirement may be waived for students who hold a current medical certification such as R.N., L.P.N., E.M.T., or R.R.T. Check with a program advisor for clarification.2HLT 119 or EMS 101 may be substituted for HLT 100.3ENG 115 may be substituted for ENG 111. 4ITE 100, 115, or HIM 130 may be substituted for ITE 119.
Students are admitted to the phlebotomy program utilizing a selective admissions process. The deadline to apply for admission to the summer cohort is April 15th, the deadline to apply for admission to the fall cohort is July 15th. Please see the Program Application Information listed below to apply for admission. Phlebotomy students must complete the following prior to enrolling in MDL 106:
- Proof & record of three Hepatitis B vaccinations OR proof of immunity by titer.
- Proof & record of two MMR vaccines OR proof of immunity by titer.
- Proof & record of negative TB test (two-step).
- Proof & record of seasonal flu shot.
- Proof & record of two varicella vaccinations OR proof of immunity by titer.
- Proof & record of DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) vaccinations.
- Copy of BLS for Healthcare Provider (CPR) certification card, back and front.
- Passing of criminal and sexual background checks and drug screen.
Program Application Information
For Further Information Contact:
- Kim Dorton, Assistant Dean
276.523.2400 ext. 356
- Tommy Clements, Dean
276.523.2400 ext. 431