Respiratory Therapy Requirements and Curriculum [PDF]
Respiratory Therapists are members of the health care team that provides respiratory care for patients with heart and lung disorders. Respiratory Therapists perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures with patients of all ages and are qualified to perform intensive care, critical care, neonatal and emergency room procedures.
MECC’s Respiratory Therapy graduates are prepared for the National Board for Respiratory Care Examinations:
- Entry-Level Respiratory Therapist (CRT)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
MECC’s Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care.
Employers want Respiratory Therapists who:
- Are skilled and knowledgeable in classroom theory and clinical procedures of respiratory therapy.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Have excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Have manual dexterity.
- Can give and receive constructive criticism.
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics projects "employment of respiratory therapists is expected to grow by 28% from 2010 to 2020, faster than the average for all occupations." In 2012, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the national average annual earnings of respiratory therapists were $57,200 and Virginia had an average annual earnings of $55,960.
The need for respiratory therapy professionals is expected to grow in the coming years due to:
- The large increase in the elderly population.
- The impact of environmental problems that have already contributed to the yearly rise in the number of reported asthma cases.
- Technological advances in the treatment of heart attack, cancer, and accident victims, as well as premature babies.
Employment opportunities exist in home care, rehabilitation agencies, nursing homes, emergency transport teams,
sleep centers, pulmonary function laboratories, outpatient clinics and physician offices.
Respiratory Therapists may advance into departmental supervision and hospital management.
You will find other MECC graduates at:
Carilion New River Valley Hospital, Carilion Roanoke Memorial Medical Center, Health South,
Lee Regional Medical Center, MSHA Indian Path Hospital, MSHA Johnson City Medical Center, Mountain View Regional Medical Center, University of Tennessee Medical Center, Vanderbilt University Hospital, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Wellmont Lonesome Pine Hospital, Wellmont Bristol Regional Medical Center, Wellmont Holston Valley Hospital & Medical Center, and Norton Community Hospital.