Registered Nursing Program
Nursing Associate Degree leading to RN Curriculum [PDF]
Registered Nurses (RN) assess, diagnose, plan, implement, and evaluate the nursing needs of patients. The role of the RN is to be a healthcare advocate to ensure that the physical and emotional needs of patients are being met. RNs coordinate the care provided by social, dietary, cardiopulmonary, physical therapy, radiological, and spiritual services.
MECC Nursing graduates receive an Associate of Applied Science degree and are prepared for the National Council Licensure Examination - Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN).
- Entry-level salaries for RNs in southwest Virginia and northeast Tennessee range from $31,000 to $35,000.
- Using MECC’s LPN to RN Bridge program, practical nurses may continue their nursing studies to become registered nurses.
- Registered nurses may advance into supervision and management or specialized areas of practice. Education can extend to the B.S.N., M.S.N., and doctorate levels.
Employers want nurses who:
- Are skilled in theory and clinical procedures.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Work as a health care team member.
- Possess professional ethics and integrity.
The need for nurses is growing in acute, long-term, and home-health care as technology advances and health needs expand. Employment opportunities are available in hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, and physicians’ offices.
MECC’s nursing program is part of the Virginia Appalachian Tricollege Nursing Program (VATNP). VATNP is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing and approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing.
Mitch Kennedy is a graduate of MECC’s Nursing program. He is an RN, Director of Surgical Services at Norton Community Hospital in Norton, VA.
You will find other MECC graduates at:
Dickenson County Health Department, Dickenson County Hospital, Heritage Hall Health Care — Big Stone Gap/Wise, Holston Medical Group, Indian Path Medical Center, Johnson City Medical Center Hospital, Johnston Memorial Hospital, Lee County Health Department, Lee Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Wellmont Mountain View Regional Medical Center, Ridgecrest Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation, Sunbridge Health Care Brookhaven, Wellmont Bristol Regional Medical Center, Wellmont Holston Valley Hospital & Medical Center, Wellmont Lee Regional Medical Center, Wellmont Lonesome Pine Hospital, Wellmont Mountain View Regional Hospital
Additional Links & Documents