Police Science Degree [PDF]
Correctional Services Degree [PDF]
Corrections Management [PDF]
Law Enforcement Management & Supervision [PDF]
Administration of Justice [PDF]
Wildlife Enforcement [PDF]
Criminal Justice students graduating with an Associate of Applied Science degree in Police Science or Corrections can find employment with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies; adult and juvenile correctional facilities; private security firms; and related places of employment.
Get Started with a Certificate
Individuals may begin their training in the one year Administration of Justice Certificate program. This certificate offers options in both law enforcement and corrections.
MECC Criminal Justice students have the opportunity to gain on-site training through internships with local agencies.
Entrance requirements for police and corrections personnel may include:
- Passing a physical examination and a physical agility test.
- Holding United States citizenship.
- Possessing a valid driver’s license.
- Meeting visual and hearing requirements as established by specific agencies.
- Being of good character and reputation as established by a background investigation, which may include a polygraph examination, educational achievements, prior work experience, credit history, and both criminal and traffic record checks.
Employers prefer Criminal Justice personnel who:
- Possess college training.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Possess good judgment.
Entry-level salaries in Virginia are $20,680. Salaries can range from $26,840 to $40,000 with experience.
The demand for Correctional and Police Officers is expected to increase 21-35 percent through 2010.
Jennifer Page, a graduate of MECC’s Corrections Program, is a Juvenile Probation Officer for the Wise County Court Service Unit. She received a BS degree in Criminal Justice from Old Dominion University.
Jason Stanley, a graduate of MECC’s Police Science Program, is a Virginia State Trooper.
You will find other MECC graduates at:
Big Stone Gap Police Department, Gate City Police Department, Johnson City Police Department, Knoxville Police Department, Lee County Sheriff’s Department, Norton Police Department, Roanoke County Sheriff’s Office, Red Onion Correctional Facility, Scott County Sheriff’s Office, Virginia State Police, Wallens Ridge Correctional Facility, Weber City Police Department, Wise County Sheriff’s Department