Click here to visit the Accounting home page.
Accounting Curriculum and Requirements [PDF]
Accounting Certificate [PDF]
Accountants prepare, analyze, and verify financial reports and taxes; monitor information systems; and provide accounting information to managers in business, industry, and government.
Get Started with a Career Studies Certificate
Individuals may begin their training in a one-year Accounting career studies certificate program. Graduates of MECC’s two-year Accounting program receive an Associate in Applied Science degree.
Graduates of MECC’s Accounting program can continue their education and seek the following certifications:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Some positions require at least an Associate’s degree, while others may require a Bachelor’s degree in accounting. Some states may also require public accountants to take a certification examination and be licensed in order to offer their services to the public, especially if they are going to be auditing financial statements and offering an opinion on them.
Employers want Accountants who:
- Possess a knowledge of business arithmetic and bookkeeping procedures.
- Possess professional ethics and integrity.
- Possess good computer skills.
- Possess good communication skills.
Graduates of MECC’s Accounting program who continue their education and gain experience can advance to positions of internal auditor, controller, vice-president of finance, chief financial officer, and external auditor (Certified Public Accountant).
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities in accounting will increase 27 or more percent through 2014 in addition to jobs created by replacement of retirees and transfers.
- Positions can include bookkeeper, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll clerk, and accounting supervisor, manager or director.
Entry-level salaries begin at $20,000 and go higher depending upon the area of the country, level of education, and length of time in the accounting profession.
You will find other MECC graduates at:
City of Kingsport, CGI, Tennessee Eastman, Town of Appalachia, Wallens Ridge Correctional Facility, and as private accounting consultants.