Campus Safety is committed to providing a safe environment that is free from violence, threats, harassing, and/or disruptive behavior. Any threat or action that violates college policies will be taken seriously and dealt with appropriately.
Contact the MECC Security Office
- From off campus, call 276.523.7473.
- From on campus, dial 473 from any campus phone.
- Send e-mail to email@example.com .
- MECC’s Security Office is located in Room 153 in Godwin Hall.
- Security personnel are on duty 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The security officers are certified Public Safety Officers and undergo annual refresher training.
Report Threats of Violence, Crimes, and Other Concerns
If you have knowledge of a threat of violence, a crime, or any other safety concern, please fill out and submit an MECC Incident Report Form. You may also report concerns by calling the Security Office at 276.523.7473 or in person to the Officer on duty in Godwin Hall room 153. Telephones for reporting emergencies are available in every classroom, hallway, and the main entrance to each building.
Lost and Found items may be turned in or picked up in Student Services in Holton Hall.
Important Safety Information can be found in MECC's Student Handbook.
Crime Statistics and Daily Log
Campus crime statistics are available for the past three years and include information about crimes occurring on the college campus, at public areas immediately adjacent to the campus, and at certain non-campus locations. The current report is available at Annual Security Report 2011-2012 . A printed copy is available upon request by contacting the Security Office at 276.523.7473. A daily log of crimes reported to campus Security is available to the public during normal business hours by contacting the Security Office.
Emergency Response Procedures
Directions to responding to emergencies on campus are posted in every classroom and office on campus.
In an emergency situation, the college community can be notified in several ways:
- Alarms and Sirens
- Text Message (Register to receive text messages from MECC.)
- Postings on the college’s website
- In person
- Electronic Message Board
If a situation poses an ongoing threat to the campus community, warnings will be provided in a timely manner to allow individuals to take precautions to protect themselves. Warnings will be delivered by text message, e-mail, and through posting to the college's website.
Minimize your risk by following these guidelines:
- Do not prop outside doors open.
- Do not walk from campus buildings to parking lots alone after dark. (Call campus security at extension 473 for an escort if necessary)
- Do not leave purses, book bags or other valuables open or unattended.
- Avoid working or studying alone on campus at night or on weekends.
- Keep car doors and windows locked.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report people or things that appear unusual.
MECC Students on the Sex Offender Registry.